[Python-Dev] The docs, reloaded

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Tue May 22 21:34:18 CEST 2007

Steve Holden schrieb:
> Titus Brown wrote:
>> On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 11:45:04AM -0500, skip at pobox.com wrote:
>> ->
>> ->     >> You at least take away a common excuse for lack of contributions.
>> ->     >> True whiners will just come up with new ones (e.g., "the
>> ->     >> documentation isn't available in Sanskrit yet" or "the dog ate my
>> ->     >> changes before I could type them into the computer"). ;-)
>> ->
>> ->     Steve> But doesn't *everyone* now know that documentation contributions
>> ->     Steve> don't have to be marked up? It's certainly been said
>> ->     Steve> enough.
>> ->
>> -> Sure, but that doesn't stop the true whiners. ;-)
>>
>> Nothing stops the true whiners ;).
>>
>> I think new and exciting ways of viewing, searching, annotating, linking
>> to/from, and indexing the docs are more important than new formats for
>> (not) writing the docs.
>>
>> For example, this rocks! ::
>>
>> 	http://pydoc.gbrandl.de/search.html?q=os.path&area=default
>>
> It would be more impressive if the search string returned hits ...

This is a JavaScript based search, which will only be (optionally) integrated
in the offline version.

The online version will get a more sophisticated search.
We've just finished to implement the quick dispatcher in the repository.
A request to

http://docs.python.org/os.path

would then redirect to the appropriate module page, as well as

http://docs.python.org/?q=os.path

Something like

http://docs.python.org/?q=os.paht (note the misspelling)

would lead to a page with close matching results, os.path being the first
of them.

(The web app is based on wsgiref, with a few wrappers around it...)

cheers,
Georg