[Python-Dev] Adventures with x64, VS7 and VS8 on Windows

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Tue May 22 07:52:57 CEST 2007

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 07:32:42AM +0200, "Martin v. L?wis" wrote:
-> > Addressing only the issues of PCBuild8 and 64-bit architectures, I
-> > have tried to establish "free" buildbot support for the 64-bit
-> > architectures without any real success.
-> >
-> > Should the PSF be considering paying for infrastructure that will
-> > support 64-bit build reporting?
->
-> You can bring it up to the board, of course. However, given that
-> all other buildbot machines were contributed by volunteers, the
-> fact that nobody volunteers to contribute buildbot machines for
-> PCbuild8 indicates that there is not a lot of interest in that
-> build infrastructure.
->
-> Note that there *are* 64-bit buildbot slaves, e.g. for AMD64
-> (contributed by Neal Norwitz), Alpha (contributed by Neal
-> Norwitz), Itanium (contributed by Matthias Klose, offering
-> a machine from the Debian project), and PPC64 (likewise).
->
-> These machines all run Linux or Tru64, and (to my understanding)
-> serve other purposes as well, making the buildbot slave
-> just a minor detail.
->
-> It's an unfortunate fact of life that Microsoft Windows does not
-> support multi-tasking multi-user workloads that well, so the
-> Windows buildbot slave are (to my knowledge) typically dedicated
-> machines (except for Tim's machine, which is just disconnected
-> from the master when he doesn't feel like running buildbot
-> jobs).

I haven't really been listening to this conversation, so forgive me if
this isn't relevant, but:

I'd be happy to install Windows and the latest VisualStudio on a 64-bit
VMware image.  I just can't be responsible for day-to-day administration
of the buildslave; Windows requires too much attention for me to do
that.

cheers,
--titus