[Python-Dev] Official version support statement

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sun May 13 02:42:19 CEST 2007

Terry Reedy writes:

 > "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote in message
 > news:17989.27755.568352.465481 at uwakimon.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp...
 > | The impression that many people (including python-dev regulars) have
 > | that there is a "policy" of "support" for both the current release
 > | (2.5) and the (still very widely used) previous release (2.4) is a
 > | real problem, and needs to be addressed.

 > I agree that such mis-understanding should be addressed.  So I now think a
 > paragraph summarizing Martin's info PEP, ending with "For details, see
 > PEPxxx.", would be a good idea.

FWIW, after Martin's explanation, and considering the annoyance of
keeping updates sync'ed (can PEPs be amended after acceptance, or only
superseded by a new PEP, like IETF RFCs?), I tend to support Barry's
suggestion of a brief listing of current releases and next planned,
and "Python policy concerning release planning is defined by [the
current version of] PEPxxx", with a link.