[Python-Dev] 64 bit warnings

Kristján Valur Jónsson kristjan at ccpgames.com
Wed May 2 18:25:23 CEST 2007

There is a considerable amount of warnings present for 64 bit builds on windows.
You can see them using VisualStudio 2005 even if  you don't have the x64 compilers installed, by turning on "Detect 64 bit portability issues" in the general tab for pythoncore.

Now, some of those just need straightforward upgrades of loop counters and so on to Py_ssize_t.  Others probably require more judgement.
E.g., do we want to change the signature of PyEval_EvalCodeEx() to accept Py_ssize_t counters rather than int?  And if not, should we then
use Py_SAFE_DOWNCAST() or just regular (int) typecast?

Note that on x64 there is rarely any performance cost associated with usin 64 bit variables for function calls, since most of the time arguments are passed in registers.  i.e. it is mostly structs that we want to keep unchanged, imo.

Any thoughts?

Kristján