[Python-Dev] Italic text in the manual

Mike Klaas mike.klaas at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 00:16:02 CEST 2007

On 3/29/07, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:
> Collin Winter schrieb:

> > The docs for atexit in py3k [1] are mostly (though not all) in
> > italics; I can't figure out why, and I'd appreciate if anyone with
> > stronger latex-foo could take a look.
>
> This is still the same error as in the trunk; the fix hasn't been forward-ported
> yet.

In the interest of expanding the general level of latex fu, the
difference stems from \em version \emph:  \em switches the current
font to emphasized in the current scope, whereas \emph is a command
that formats its argument emphasizedly.

Thus {\em ... } and \emph{...} achieve similar results, but \em{ ... }
switches the top-level font, which is followed by a grouping {} (which
likley does nothing).

-Mike