[Python-Dev] Standard Image and Sound classes (was: SoC proposal: multimedia library)

Lino Mastrodomenico l.mastrodomenico at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 03:03:25 CEST 2007

2007/3/26, Pete Shinners <pete at shinners.org>:
> My main question is what is the image and sound container passed back to Python?
> This single thing along would be worth a SoC if it could be implemented across
> all libraries.
>
> Will your image objects be transferrable to PIL, Pygame, PyOpengl, Numpy,
> Pythonmagick, Pycairo, wxPython, etc? It would be best if this could avoid the
> "fromstring/tostring" mojo that always requires and extra copy of the data for
> each transfer.

I agree. I withdrew my original "multimedia library" idea and
submitted a proposal for the creation of two standard Image and Sound
classes.

If the PSF accepts my proposal and if Google grants a student slot for
me, I will try to implement an interface for the two classes that can
work well for everyone and be easily usable from both the Python and
the C side. I guess this will require a PEP, if this is the case I
will volunteer to write it.

And, most important, I will create patches for the appropriate
standard library modules and for a lot of external libraries, to try
to make the use of the two new classes really interoperable.

Finally, as Greg suggested, adding the new buffer interface to the two
classes can be a really good idea. I'm following with interest that
discussion.

Keeping fingers crossed...

--
Lino Mastrodomenico