[Python-Dev] SoC proposal: multimedia library

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Sun Mar 25 10:37:52 CEST 2007

"Lino Mastrodomenico" <l.mastrodomenico at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there any interest in a library of this kind (inside or outside of
> the stdlib)?

For decoding, not many packages can currently match VLC. It has wrappers
for most major GUI toolkits, and seems to be easily accessable via
ctypes.  There are also bindings for various media players in wxPython,
though they are strictly play only - no screenshots, etc.

For encoding, MediaCoder exists, but seems to be Windows only.  I would
personally suggest limiting support and going for ffmpeg (via ctypes
would be quickest, though a SWIG wrapping could make it more convenient).

Is it desireable?  I don't know.  Make it available and we will likely
see a slimmed down iMovie clone in a couple months.  Is the wrapping of
VLC and ffmpeg sufficient for a SoC project?  I don't know - I've never
wrapped a 3rd party library before.

 - Josiah