[Python-Dev] deprecate commands.getstatus()

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Thu Mar 22 22:44:08 CET 2007

On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 09:34:46PM +0000, Michael Foord wrote:
-> Guido van Rossum wrote:
-> > Sure. os.fork() and the os.exec*() family can stay. But os.spawn*(),
-> > that abomination invented by Microsoft? I also hear no opposition
-> > against killign os.system() and os.popen()
->
-> Except that 'os.system' is really easy to use and I use it rarely enough
-> that I *always* have to RTFM for subprocess which makes you jump through
-> a few more (albeit simple) hoops.

Hopefully the patch I'm making will change that, no?

I could add in a 'system'-alike call easily enough; that was suggested.
But I think

	returncode = subprocess.call("program")

is pretty simple, isn't it?

-> Additionally, AFAIK subprocess is still broken for py2exe'd applications
-> which is a problem.

Explain?

cheers,
--titus