[Python-Dev] Extended Buffer Interface/Protocol

Neil Hodgson nyamatongwe at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 03:13:57 CET 2007

Greg Ewing:

> So an array-of-pointers interface wouldn't be a direct
> substitute for the existing multi-segment buffer
> interface.

   Providing an array of (pointer,length) wouldn't be too much extra
work for a split vector implementation.

Guido van Rossum:

> But there's always a call to remove the gap (or move it to the end).

   Yes, although its something you try to avoid.

   I'm not saying that this is an important use-case since no one
seems to have produced a split vector implementation that provides the
buffer protocol. Numeric-style array handling is much more common so
deserves priority.

   Neil