[Python-Dev] Breaking calls to object.__init__/__new__

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Mar 21 23:45:16 CET 2007

See python.org/sf/1683368. I'd like to invite opinions on whether it's
worth breaking an unknown amount of user code in 2.6 for the sake of
stricter argument checking for object.__init__ and object.__new__. I
think it probably isn't; but the strict version could be added to 3.0
and a warning issued in 2.6 in -Wpy3k mode. Alternatively, we could
introduce the stricter code in 2.6, fix the stdlib modules that it
breaks, and hope for the best. Opinions?