[Python-Dev] I vote to reject: Adding timeout to socket.py and httplib.py.

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 15:01:17 CET 2007

On 3/21/07, Facundo Batista <facundo at taniquetil.com.ar> wrote:
> So, as a resume of the choices we still need to settle:
>
>   a) Repeat the same functionality in 5 other libraries
>   b) Write the function in socket.py, public
>   c) Write the function in socket.py, non public

The fact that it's needed in 5 places in the stdlib suggests that
there's plenty of user code that could benefit from it too.  Hence, I
prefer (b), but if that really freaks people out, I'm okay with (c)
too.  I'm not okay with (a).

Thanks, by the way, for creating this patch (and updating it based on
python-dev feedback).  I think it's really important for the
maintainability of Python that duplicate code is factored out whenever
possible.

STeVe
        --- Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy