[Python-Dev] Proposal to revert r54204 (splitext change)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sun Mar 18 20:53:49 CET 2007

Now that this thread has celebrated its 100th message, I feel
compelled to say something.

My first observation is that this is a tempest in a teacup.

My second observation is that there seems to have been a lack of
people skills all around. That is perhaps to expect in a community of
geeks, but given the length of the previous thread on this topic
(before Martin checked it in) I think all the participants might have
done wiser by taking each others' feelings into account rather than
attempting to relentlessly arguing the technical point at hand.

My third observation is tha a policy that would have disallowed or
allowed (depending on your POV) this particular change is not an
option. A policy isn't going to solve all disagreements, there will
always be debate possible about the interpretations of the rules.
What's needed is a way to handle such debate in a way that produces an
outcome without wearing everyone out.

It's important that the participants in the debate respect each other
-- before, during and after the debate.

If you want, I can make a decision. But I will only do that if I hear
from both sides of the debate that they are willing to accept my
choice even if it favors the other party. Can I hear agreement to
that? In particular; Phillip and Glyph, if I decide that Martin's
change is OK for 2.6, will you accept it and stop debating it and get
on with your lives? And Martin, if I decide that the change should be
rolled back, will you be okay with that?

This is an experiment for me as well; if you all would prefer me to
stay out of it, I will. I haven't made up my mind yet about the
technical issue, but I'm not interested in hearing the arguments
repeated; I've heard them all and just need to mull it over. Let me
know.