[Python-Dev] Proposal to revert r54204 (splitext change)

Mike Krell mbk.lists at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 01:13:18 CET 2007

On 3/15/07, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> *don't* consider .emacs to be a file with an empty filename and
> a .emacs extension. They also (alternatively) support a directory
> called .emacs.d for startup files, and I would be equally surprised
> if they registered .d as extension (about the only extension Emacs
> might register is .el/.elc).

Agreed on both counts.  I'm sure neither of these are registered
extensions, but for what I care about the operative question is what
windows explorer does with (what it considers to be) unregistered
extensions.

> The reason the file is called .emacs on Windows is *not* because
> it should have that extension, but because it is called .emacs
> on Unix, and it is called that way because the Unix shell and ls
> suppress dotfiles unless explicitly asked to display them.

Yes.

> Ok, I see why that would break. What do you do with files that really
> have no extension whatsoever (i.e. no dot at all)?

That use case doesn't come up for this application -- see my response
to Mike Klass.

I actually muddied the waters here by using ".emacs" as an example. In
practice, this app  would never copy a .emacs file since its used to
copy files used by itself.

   Mike