[Python-Dev] Proposal to revert r54204 (splitext change)

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Wed Mar 14 23:39:40 CET 2007

Hi Martin,

On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 10:54:41PM +0100, "Martin v. L?wis" wrote:
> So this is a bug fix, even though the old test
> case explicitly tested for the presence of the bug

FWIW, when developing PyPy we found quite a number of tests in CPython
that were checking not just obscure implementation details, but things
known to be of the kind "don't do that you fool" or "let's check for
exactly one of the many things that could reasonably occur here".
CPython's test suite should not be regarded as a behavior definition;
only the documentation should.

I consider this case similarly debatable, and to this debate I will
contribute a +1 on keeping Martin's patch.

A bientot,

Armin