[Python-Dev] Proposal to revert r54204 (splitext change)

Delaney, Timothy (Tim) tdelaney at avaya.com
Wed Mar 14 22:30:17 CET 2007

Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> In addition to being made in the face of controversy and opposition,
> this
> change is an alteration to *documented and tested* behavior and thus
> cannot reasonably be considered a mere bug fix.

FWIW, I support Phillip on this. There can be no question that the old behaviour was expected.

IMO this is just gratuitous breakage. The only fix that shold be made is to the splitext documentation to match the docstring.

A change to the documented behaviour should require a __future__ import for at least one version. That's even assuming that the change is desireable (I don't believe so). We have multiple anecdotes of actual, existing code that *will* break with this change. So far I haven't seen any actual code posted that is currently broken by the existing behaviour.

Tim Delaney