[Python-Dev] Patch 1644818: Allow importing built-in submodules

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Mar 13 18:24:37 CET 2007

At 11:50 PM 3/12/2007 +0100, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>Does distutils support this kind of setup? Modules/Setup?

distutils does, and has from its inception, as far as I know.

>IOW, I would expect that there are sooo many places where extension
>modules in packages are not supported

The only thing I know of that doesn't support it very well is py2exe,
actually.  PEAK has had extensions modules in subpackages for many years
now, and never run into any problems.  In fact, py2exe's only problem with
it is that it still requires such modules to have globally unique names --
you can't have both a foo.speedups extension and a bar.speedups
extension.  (This actually happened with RuleDispatch and PyProtocols; I
ended up renaming them to _p_speedups and _d_speedups to better support
py2exe users.)