[Python-Dev] Patch 1644818: Allow importing built-in submodules

Miguel Lobo mlobol at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 01:12:22 CET 2007

> For me, the personal benefit of getting a patch applied
> would be so that I didn't have to keep re-applying it
> to new versions of Python, and that I could distribute
> code relying on the patch to others without requiring
> *them* to use a patched version of Python as well.

What you describe is probably fairly common, but in this particular case,
the patch is only needed if you are going to build a bespoke Python
interpreter.  This is a complicated enough process that the difficulty of
having to apply a patch is probably insignificant.  The potential savings of
this patch lay mainly in avoiding the waste of time for people who will face
the same problem and not understand why.

As anecdotal evidence, just a couple of days after I had figured out what
the problem was and had the patch ready, another guy found the same problem
completely independently and posted some questions to the PyQt development
list about it.

Regards,
Miguel