[Python-Dev] Patch 1644818: Allow importing built-in submodules

Miguel Lobo mlobol at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 19:20:56 CET 2007

> I need to integrate the extra test file into a project file (probably
> pythoncore).

The change to pythoncore.vcproj is already in the patch I posted.  Otherwise
I wouldn't have been able to run my test under Windows.

Yet, the same can be said for most other patches: they are all for the
> benefit of users running into the same respective problems.

Agreed.  What I mean is that this fasttrack system where the submitter has
to do some extra work seems to imply that accepting the patch somehow
benefits the submitter.  In fact I'm probably the person the patch will
benefit least, because I have already run into the problem and know how to
solve it.  I feel responsible for defending the patch since I've written it
and I know the problem it fixes and my solution better than anybody else,
but I don't see how that responsibility extends to having to do extra
unrelated work to have the patch accepted.

I'm not complaining or anything, and no offence meant to anyone, just
explaining my point of view.  I might still try to do the 5 patch review
thing, depending on how long it takes me.  But if I choose not to do so,
leaving my patch to rot only harms CPython, not me.

Regards,
Miguel