[Python-Dev] Backports of standard library modules

Patrick Maupin pmaupin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 02:43:57 CET 2007

On 3/11/07, glyph at divmod.com <glyph at divmod.com> wrote:

> Isn't this PEP 297?

Thanks for pointing that out.  I looked for a relevant PEP, but didn't
notice this one.  I think this is complementary, but (if I am reading
it correctly) it is not exactly the same.  The alternate search path
is a necessary part of what I am suggesting, but the meat of my
proposal (which Brett correctly discerned would require ongoing effort
:) is that, when I go to the downloads page for Python 2.3, in
addition to downloading Python, I could download all the compatible
libraries which were included in later versions as a single
installable file.  When 2.6 comes out, this "extras" package would be
upgraded to include any new modules in 2.6.

Not a lot of fun for people who live on the bleeding edge, but very
useful for people who are stuck with an older version for political or
other reasons.

Regards,
Pat