[Python-Dev] Backports of standard library modules

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Mon Mar 12 00:19:00 CET 2007

On 3/11/07, Patrick Maupin <pmaupin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Please forgive me if this has already been discussed -- I only
> recently started paying any attention to this list.
>
> Many versions of python include "new" standard library modules that
> could (or often do already) work fine with previous versions.  Some of
> the modules are brand-new, written explicitly for the standard
> library, and others are preexisting modules that, by community
> consensus, are added to the library.
>
> It seems that once a new library module is added, if it doesn't rely
> heavily on new core language features, it should also be added for
> previous versions.  Obviously, it doesn't make sense to re-release an
> old version of Python just because a new library is available (or even
> to include the new library in the old version), but it might make
> sense to have a separate package of "extras" or "backported" modules
> that is re-released for prior versions whenever a new (compatible)
> module is added to the standard library.
>
> Although it is often quite easy to find and download a module for use
> with a prior version of Python, it would be really convenient if all
> of these modules were bundled up together and available as a single
> download, especially when it comes to Windows users and extension
> modules.

A problem with doing this is whether this will put any extra burden on
python-dev.  It's fine if people want to pull out of the stdlib,
package them, and do that work, but in no way should we have to
maintain version compatibility or worry about backporting fixes once
the package is released.

I would personally rather have an informal package done to completely
avoid these issues.  That way no one feels obliged to keep doing this
after every release.

-Brett