[Python-Dev] Encouraging developers

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Wed Mar 7 17:10:01 CET 2007

Facundo Batista schrieb:

> How many people want to submit a patch, or even a bug, or finds a patch
> to review, but don't know how to do something and thinks that python-dev
> is not the place to ask (too high minds and experienced people and
> everything)?
>
> What I propose is a dedicated place (mailing list, for example), that is
> something like a place where you can go and ask the silliest questions
> about helping in the developing process.

In my experience, direct communication, e.g. via IRC channels, is much less
"intimidating" for newcomers than a publicly read and archived mailing list.

That said, I'm in #python-dev on Freenode most of the time and I'd be happy
to help out new developers (as soon as the questions are still so simple for
me to answer ;).

Of course, the channel would have to be made an "official" Python development
tool and advertised on e.g. the website. Also, it couldn't hurt if some of the
other devs would frequent it too, then :)

Georg