[Python-Dev] Encouraging developers

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Mar 7 11:10:22 CET 2007

Giovanni Bajo schrieb:
> On 06/03/2007 10.52, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>
>> I can't see that the barrier at contributing is high.
>
> I think this says it all. It now appears obvious to me that people
> inside the "mafia" don't even realize there is one. Thus, it looks like
> we are all wasting time in this thread, since they think there is
> nothing to be changed.

I can feel your pain that your (only) patch was unreviewed for three
years. If it makes you happy to blame somebody feel free to, but I
feel it is unfair to blame the single person that eventually *did*
review and commit your patch.

You may ask yourself why this specific patch was unreviewed for
so long. My own explanation is that it is a highly complicated
algorithm (as any kind of cryptographical algorithm), so nobody
felt qualified to review it. I'm pretty sure it was *looked at*
often (contrary to your remark in [1]), but none of the people
reading it were qualified to comment.

So if you want to work on encryption still, please go ahead.

Regards,
Martin

[1] http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2004-November/293510.html