[Python-Dev] Finding the python library binaries (and docs)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Mar 7 08:39:28 CET 2007

David Abrahams schrieb:
>> That absolutely cannot be the case. Python is open source, you have
>> *everything* you need to answer this question.
>
> That assumes this is one of those questions to which "use the source"
> is applicable. I think answering it requires some understanding of
> intention that's not explicit in the source.  'Course, it may be that
> the answer is "nobody knows."

Well, I probably didn't get your question then. Your original article
seemed to focus on "the documentation is incomplete". Completing the
documentation is always possible just by reading the source, documenting
the status quo. It seemed that you were also asking what the status quo
is.

>> Ah, ok. If you want to know where that is installed (officially),
>> check out what "make install" does. Also, ask yourself whether you know
>> a Python module that should know how to find it. distutils
>
> No help there.  It has at best a haphazard method of looking for
> libraries, and never looks in a /config subdirectory on linux AFAICT.

That's not true. Look, for example, at sysconfig.get_makefile_filename.

Not sure what "haphazard method" you are referring to. It would be
more helpful if you would say "I found this and that. Is it true
that this is haphazard?" to which my likely answer is "no, this is
intentional". I'm not aware of haphazard algorithms in Python.

> Also AFAICT the results are not tied to a particular Python
> executable.

As you don't mention what specific algorithm you are referring to
here, it's difficult to discuss whether your findings are correct.
sysconfig.EXEC_PREFIX is definitely installation-specific

> Looking at some code that works most of the time because the authors
> tried to deduce intention by looking at the Python source and existing
> installations isn't much better than trying to deduce intention by
> looking at the Python source and existing installations myself.
>
>> and freeze
>
> Not part of Python?

Tools/freeze

Regards,