[Python-Dev] splitext('.cshrc')

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Mar 6 20:03:20 CET 2007

At 07:24 PM 3/6/2007 +0100, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>given a list of file names, classify them for display (the
>      way the Windows explorer works, and similar file managers).
>     They use MIME databases and the like, and if they are unix-ish,
>     they probably reject the current splitext implementation already
>     as incorrect, and have work-arounds.

I know I've written code like this that *depends* on the current
behavior.  It's *useful* to classify e.g. .svn directories or .*rc files by
their "extension", so I'm honestly baffled by the idea of wanting to treat
such files as *not* having an extension (as opposed to a
possibly-unrecognized one).