[Python-Dev] Encouraging developers

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Mar 6 16:14:03 CET 2007

Nick Coghlan schrieb:
> One thing that did happen though (which the messages from Jeremy & Phil
> reminded me of) is that I got a lot of direction, advice and assistance
> from Raymond when I was doing that initial work on improving the speed
> of the decimal module - I had the time available to run the relevant
> benchmarks repeatedly and try different things out, while Raymond had
> the experience needed to suggest possible avenues for optimisation (and
> when to abandon an approach as making the code too complicated to be
> effectively maintained).
>
> I don't know whether or not there is anything specific we can do to
> encourage that kind of coaching/mentoring activity, but I know it was a
> significant factor in my become more comfortable with making contributions.

While there was no explicit management of a mentoring process, I think
it so happened that committers always found a mentor. It so happened
that some developer activated privileges for them (either himself, or
requesting that this be done), and then certainly feels responsible
for his 'student'. This automatically establishes a mentoring
relationship.

Regards,
Martin