[Python-Dev] SVK (was: Encouraging developers)

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Tue Mar 6 15:53:35 CET 2007

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 07:59:53AM +0100, Ronald Oussoren wrote:
> development easier for them. They can  already do this using SVK,
> which is a distributed version control system as well but uses SVN
> repositories to store its data.

I'm happy to write up a wiki page describing how to use SVK to set up
your own mirror of the Python SVN.  However, trying it now, the
initial setup seems very slow: SVK is retrieving each of 54165
revisions and it'll probably take over an hour to complete.

I'm retrying it now by mirroring only the trunk to see if that's any
faster, but this seems like an impediment -- if you want to develop a
bugfix of sufficient complexity to need a DVCS, and the first step
required takes over an hour, that may dissipate your forward motion.
(Of course, I don't know how long a checkout of a hypothetical Bazaar
repository would take; maybe it's not any faster.)

--amk