[Python-Dev] Encouraging developers

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Mar 6 10:57:58 CET 2007

Phil Thompson schrieb:
> My point is simply that the effort required to review patches seems to be a
> problem. Perhaps the reasons for that need to be looked at and the process
> changed so that it is more effective. At the moment people just seem be
> saying "that's the way it is because that's the way it's got to be".

We have already changed the process a lot. These days patches are
regularly turned away for not having tests and doc changes in them.
Yet, there are no reviewers willing to contribute even this very
straight-forward, easy-to-execute check.

If the patch meets the formal criteria, the hard part (on the reviewers
side) starts: they must understand the code being patched, the nature
of the problem, and the patch itself. I don't see how this could be
simplified, without neglecting quality.

> Then perhaps getting a full-time person should be taken seriously.

That's quite expensive, plus somebody would need to supervise that
person. A part-time person would be less expensive, but still needs
supervision.

Regards,
Martin