[Python-Dev] Encouraging developers

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Mon Mar 5 22:16:47 CET 2007

On Monday 05 March 2007 8:09 pm, Oleg Broytmann wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 07:30:20PM +0000, Phil Thompson wrote:
> > 1. Don't suggest to people that, in order to get their patch reviewed,
> > they should review other patches. The level of knowledge required to put
> > together a patch is much less than that required to know if a patch is
> > the right one.
>
>    I am afraid this could lead to proliferation of low-quality patches. A
> patch must touch at least code, documentation and tests, be tested itself
> and must not break other tests. These requirements demand higher expertise.

I'm not sure what your point is. My point is that, if you want to encourage
people to become core developers, they have to have a method of graduating
through the ranks - learning (and being taught) as they go. To place a very
high obstacle in their way right at the start is completely
counter-productive.

Phil