[Python-Dev] Three-char file extensions

Scott Dial scott+python-dev at scottdial.com
Sun Jul 15 20:54:34 CEST 2007

Paul Moore wrote:
> On 15/07/07, Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote:
>> Also, it seems that memory sticks and USB thumb drives are
>> often formatted with FAT because that's the closest we have to a
>> universal file format.
>
> I think they tend to use FAT32 (the ones I've seen do), which does
> support long filenames and more than 3 character extensions.

In general, this is not true. FAT16 can address a 2GB device and I can
think of at least one embedded system I am working with that does not
support FAT32. If anything, at least .pyzip reduces to .pyz in 8dot3
(whereas .py.z reduces to .z *yikes!*). However, I think it is still
best practice to aim for 8dot3 naming.

-Scott

--
Scott Dial