[Python-Dev] Three-char file extensions

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun Jul 15 14:58:54 CEST 2007

On Sat, Jul 14, 2007, Greg Ewing wrote:
> Anders J. Munch wrote:
>>
>> How about .pyzip instead?  To make it more obvious, and not
>> mistakable for .py.z.
>
> Indeed. Is there any need to restrict extensions to 3 characters these
> days? Last time I experimented with this on Windows, it seemed to
> handle longer extensions okay.

ARAIK, the only disk fromat that really cares about this which may still
be in widespread use is ISO-9660-formatted CDs without Joliet/Rock Ridge
extensions.  Also, it seems that memory sticks and USB thumb drives are
often formatted with FAT because that's the closest we have to a
universal file format.

I support the RKAB