[Python-Dev] Building Python with CMake

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Fri Jul 13 22:11:56 CEST 2007

On 13/07/2007 20.53, Facundo Batista wrote:

>> as I wrote in my previous email, I'm currently porting Python to some more
>> unusual platforms, namely to a super computer
>> (http://www.research.ibm.com/bluegene/) and a tiny embedded operating system
>> (http://ecos.sourceware.org), which have more or less surprisingly quite
>> similar properties.
>
> Sorry, missed the previous mail. Have two questions for you:
>
> - Why?

Because it would be a single unified build system instead of having two build
systems like we have one (UNIX and Windows).

Also, it would be much easier to maintain because Visual Studio projects are
generated from a simple description, while right now if you want to change
something you need to go through the hassle of defining it within the Visual
Studio GUI.

Consider for instance if you want to change the Windows build so that a
builtin module is compiled as an external .pyd instead. Right now, you need to
go through the hassle of manually defining a new project, setting all the
include/libraries dependencies correctly, ecc. ecc. With CMake or a similar
tool, it would be a matter of a couple of textual line changes.

[ I'll also remember that "ease of maintanance for developers" is the #1
reason for having a 2.1Mb python25.dll under Windows, which I would really
love to reduce. ]
--
Giovanni Bajo