[Python-Dev] Registry keys written by x64 installer

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Fri Jul 13 06:16:05 CEST 2007

> Per the requirements documented at
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/En-US/library/aa372396.aspx, the behavior
> you describe is expected for a 32-bit installer.

Agreed - but unless I'm missing something, this release is not expected to
be a 32bit installer.

> (To install files and
> registry to 64-bit locations, the Template Summary must include
> Intel64 or x64 depending on which architecture, and the component must
> be marked as 64-bit).
>
> I'm not familiar with how msilib is invoked to create the MSI files in
> question, but it does look like setting Win64 to 1 at an early enough
> time would cause an Intel64 installer to be built, along with entirely
> 64-bit components. This wouldn't work for x64 machines,

Why wouldn't it work for x64 machines?  Is it simply because msilib only
handles Intel64 when that flag is set?

> and all
> components being 64-bit may be incorrect: potentially the 64-bit
> installer should have some 32-bit components.

What 32bit components should a 64bit build of Python include?  Perhaps you
mean *could* - but IIUC, there is no intention to release 32bit and 64bit
versions of Python in a single package (and further, IIUC, no intent on
supporting a 32bit and 64bit installation on the same machine, regardless of
packaging)

I'm afraid its not clear to me if you are agreeing with me (ie, that the
registry keys are incorrect), or disagreeing with me (the keys are what you
would expect a correct x64 install to create)?  I think you are agreeing,
but sounding a caution that it might not be trivial to fix, but I would like
to be sure...

Cheers,

Mark