[Python-Dev] proposed attribute lookup optimization

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sun Jul 8 19:42:52 CEST 2007

At 08:23 PM 7/8/2007 +0300, Paul Pogonyshev wrote:
>I would like to propose an optimization (I think so, anyway) for the
>way attributes are looked up.  Currently, it is done like this:
>
>         return value of attribute in instance.__dict__ if present
>         for type in instance.__class__.__mro__:
>             return value of attribute in type.__dict__ if present
>         raise AttributeError

Actually, it is only done like that for "classic" classes.  New-style
classes actually work more like this:

     descriptor = None
     for t in type(ob).__mro__:
         if attribute in t.__dict__:
             descriptor = t.__dict__[attribute]
             if hasattr(descriptor, '__set__'):
                 return descriptor.__get__(ob, type(ob))
             break

     if attribute in ob.__dict__: return ob.__dict__[attribute]
     if descriptor is not None: return descriptor.__get__(ob, type(ob))
     if hasattr(type(ob),'__getattr__'): return ob.__getattr__(attribute)
     raise AttributeError

>I propose adding to each type a C-implementation-private dictionary
>of attribute-name => type-in-which-defined.  Then, it will not be
>necessary to traverse __mro__ on each attribute lookup for names
>which are present in this lookup dictionary.

Sounds good to me...  but it's just as simple to store the
descriptors directly, rather than the type that defines the
descriptor.  Might as well cut out the middleman.

I believe that someone proposed this already, with a patch, in fact...

>This optimization will not have any effect for attributes defined
>on instance.

It will for new-style classes, actually -- and a significant one if
the inheritance  hierarchy is deep and doesn't contain a default
value for the attribute.

>   It will, however, for type attributes, most notably
>for methods.

Yep.  It'll also speed up access to inherited slots.

>   It will most likely cause a slowdown for looking up
>attributes that are defined directly on self.__class__, not on any
>of its bases.

Not if it's a direct cache of descriptors; in that case it will have
no effect on lookup time.

>One open question is what to do in case an attribute on a type is
>set or deleted.

New-style classes can handle this easily; they know their subclasses
and you can't directly write to a new-style class' __dict__.  So when
you set or delete an attribute on a type, it's possible to walk the
subclasses and update their caches accordingly.  I believe Python
already does this so that if you e.g. set 'sometype.__call__ =
something', then all the subclasses' C-level tp_call slots get
changed to match.  The same approach could be used for caching on
new-style classes.

Again, though, this has already been proposed, and I believe there's
a patch awaiting review for inclusion in 2.6 (and presumably 3.0).