[Python-Dev] Code working in both 2.x and 3.X

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Jan 12 18:35:51 CET 2007

On 1/12/07, Facundo Batista <facundo at taniquetil.com.ar> wrote:
> Ron Adam wrote:
>
> > I thinking that the 3.0.X version be considered a try it out (alpha) release to
> > generate plenty of feed back, and the 3.1.X version be the first version meant
> > for actual development use.
>
> +1 for this approach.
>
> I think it's very clear, and everybody will understand it (ok, not
> everybody, we know people...).

To the contrary, I think this is just a game with semantics -- if we
tell people not to use 3.0 because it is still alpha quality then we
won't get *actual* feedback until we release 3.1, and we'd still have
to do a 3.2 which takes the feedback from serious users into account.

IMO we should strive for 3.0 to be the best release we can make it --
on a par with 2.4.0, 2.5.0 and 2.6.0. I want about a year between
3.0a1 (to be released in the first half of this year) and 3.0final.