[Python-Dev] Py_ssize_t

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Tue Feb 20 17:11:29 CET 2007

> My suspicion is that building Python for an 64-bit address space is
> still a somewhat academic exercise. I know we don't do this at Google
> (we switch to other languages long before the datasets become so large
> we'd need a 64-bit address space for Python). What's your experience
> at EWT?

Two people had some difficulty building non-upgraded third-party modules
with Py2.5 on 64-bit machines (I think wxPython was one of the problems)
but they either gave up or switched machines before we could isolate the
problem and say for sure whether Py_ssize_t was the culprit.  I had remembered
the PEP saying that there might  be some issues for non-upgraded third-party
modules and have wondered whether others were similarly affected.

Raymond