[Python-Dev] Py2.6 ideas

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Tue Feb 20 07:47:34 CET 2007

Thanks for the comments.
Will experiment with them and get back to you..

The alternate naming is fine.  At work, we call it ntuple().

The constructor signature has been experimented with
several time and had best results in its current form
which allows the *args for casting a record set returned
by SQL or by the CSV module as in Point(*fetchall(s)),
and it allows for direct construction with Point(2,3) without the
slower and weirder form: Point((2,3)).  Also, the current signature
works better with keyword arguments:  Point(x=2, y=3) or
Point(2, y=3)  which wouldn't be common but would be
consistent with the relationship between keyword arguments
and positional arguments in other parts of the language.

The string form for the named tuple factory was arrived at
because it was easier to write, read, and alter than its original
form with a list of strings:
   Contract = namedtuple('Contract stock strike volatility expiration rate
iscall')
vs.
   Contract = namedtuple('Contract', 'stock', 'strike', 'volatility',
'expiration', 'rate', 'iscall')
That former is easier to edit and to re-arrange.  Either form is trivial to
convert
programmatically to the other and the definition step only occurs once while the
use of the new type can appear many times throughout the code.
Having experimented with both forms, I've found the string form to
be best thought it seems a bit odd.  Yet, the decision isn't central to
the proposal and is still an open question.

The __module__ idea is nice.  Will add it.  Likewise with pickling.

The 'show' part of __repr__ was done for speed (localized access
versus accessing the enclosing scope.  Will rename it to _show
to make it clear that it is not part of the API.

Thanks for the accolades and the suggestions.

Raymond