[Python-Dev] Twisted Isn't Specific (was Re: Trial balloon: microthreads library in stdlib)

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Sat Feb 17 04:34:51 CET 2007

On 16 Feb, 06:30 pm, larry at hastings.org wrote:

>I suggest it is possible to implement a PerfectReactor.

I don't think this constitutes a sufficient existence proof.  Perhaps you could write a prototype?  There are a bunch of existing reactors you could either import or copy/paste from to bootstrap it, so you wouldn't necessarily need to do many of the platform-specific hacks it has already implemented for those loops.

Personally I am highly skeptical that this is possible, and I didn't find any of your arguments convincing, but I would be ecstatic if it worked; it isn't *fun* maintaining 12 or so subtly incompatible implementations of the same interface :).

I also think this discussion would be more appropriate to continue on the Twisted list, as we have veered pretty far afield of stdlib enhancements and are now talking about multiplexing method implementations, but I'll follow it wherever it continues.