[Python-Dev] Twisted Isn't Specific (was Re: Trial balloon: microthreads library in stdlib)

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Fri Feb 16 04:47:42 CET 2007

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 13:55:31 -0800, Josiah Carlson <jcarlson at uci.edu> wrote:

>Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at divmod.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> Now if we can only figure out a way for everyone to benefit from this without
>> tying too many brains up in knots. :)
>
>Whenever I need to deal with these kinds of things (in wxPython
>specifically), I usually set up a wxTimer to signal
>asyncore.poll(timeout=0), but I'm lazy, and rarely need significant
>throughput in my GUI applications.

And I guess you also don't mind that on OS X this is often noticably broken?
:)

> [snip]
>
>Protocol support is hit and miss.  NNTP in Python could be better, but
>that's not an asyncore issue (being that nntplib isn't implemented using
>asyncore), that's an "NNTP in Python could be done better" issue.  Is it
>worth someone's time to patch it, or should they just use Twisted?  Well,
>if we start abandoning stdlib modules, "because they can always use
>Twisted", then we may as well just ship Twisted with Python.

We could always replace the stdlib modules with thin compatibility layers
based on the Twisted protocol implementations.  It's trivial to turn an
asynchronous API into a synchronous one.  I think you are correct in marking
this an unrelated issue, though.

Jean-Paul