[Python-Dev] Trial balloon: microthreads library in stdlib

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Mon Feb 12 21:38:06 CET 2007

"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> Richard Tew schrieb:
> > but at that stage I need to
> > poll two different resources for events.  In order to avoid this it makes
> > sense to stop using asyncore for sockets and to write a new
> > replacement socket object based on IO completion ports.
>
> I don't know whether/how this is possible. The underlying
> WaitForMultipleObjects routine does not accept WinSock objects,
> to my knowledge (perhaps it does in Vista, with the rewriting
> of WinSock?).

It "works" in Windows 2000.  I've got a variant of a prototype (and
abandoned) Twisted Reactor that uses WaitForMultipleObjects for an
alternate asyncore.poll() implementation on Windows.  It sucks up 100%
processor when sending trivial amounts of data from a single socket (where
asyncore uses about 2%), but you do get the data.

 - Josiah