[Python-Dev] Trial balloon: microthreads library in stdlib

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 18:11:39 CET 2007

On 2/12/07, Tristan Seligmann <mithrandi-python-dev at mithrandi.za.net> wrote:
> * Richard Tew <richard.m.tew at gmail.com> [2007-02-12 13:46:43 +0000]:
> > Perhaps there is a better way.  And I of course have no concept of
> > how this might be done on other platforms.
>
> Building on an existing framework that does this seems better than
> reinventing the wheel, for something of this magnitude.

This to me seems to be the low level support you would build
something like Twisted on top of.  Pushing Twisted so that others
can get it seems a little over the top.

In any case I'm not building an application.  I am transparently making
standard library calls yield to a scheduler while whatever they would do
happens asynchronously.  Generic support for this allows me to make
Stackless usage like normal Python usage but with microthreads.
I would hope if Dustin went ahead with a generator based microthread
solution he find it useful as well.  Lumbering Stackless at least with a
framework like Twisted pushes complexity up to the user, something
Stackless cannot afford.

Cheers,
Richard.