[Python-Dev] New syntax for 'dynamic' attribute access

Collin Winter collinw at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 05:55:51 CET 2007

I like the general idea, but the syntax looks like dirt on my monitor.
The period is too easy to lose visually and without it, there's
nothing to distinguish this from a function call. Also, like Anthony
Baxter said, someone coming across this for the first time will think
it's a syntax error, allusions to MATLAB and assembly indirection
syntax not withstanding.

Ignoring the syntax, I'm -1 on the 2-argument form, especially since
it can only be used in an expression context; getattr() can be kept
around for this.

I'm +0 on the idea, -1 on the means.

Collin Winter