[Python-Dev] Does anyone care enough about asyncore and asynchat to help adapt their APIs for Py3k?

Josiah Carlson josiah.carlson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 19:04:59 CET 2007

On Dec 5, 2007 9:19 AM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> The asyncore and asynchat modules are in a difficult position when it
> comes to Python 3000. None of the core developers use it or
> particularly care about it (AFAIK), and the API has problems because
> it wasn't written to deal with bytes vs. unicode. E.g. in
> http://bugs.python.org/issue1067, Thomas suggests that these modules
> need to be rewritten to use bytes internally and have separate APIs to
> handle (unicode) text as desired, similar to the way file I/O was
> redesigned. Another alternative would be to make these modules deal
> strictly in bytes, but that would probably vastly reduce their
> usefulness (though I don't know -- as I said, I don't use them).

I can look into it later this month, but for the short term, I'm a
little squeezed for time (work, finishing school, etc.).  I am a bit
curious, however, I could have sworn that bytes were to become,
essentially, the 2.x str type (without some methods).  If that is the
case, no changes should really be necessary, except for a few small
changes to asynchat with regards to line terminators.

Then again, I haven't really been keeping up in the p3k/pydev lists
for the last 6-8 months, and only the subject line of this posting
caught my eye (because I use asyncore/asynchat, and support users of
asyncore/asynchat that contact me directly).

 - Josiah