[Python-Dev] Signals+Threads (PyGTK waking up 10x/sec).

Gustavo Carneiro gjcarneiro at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 12:58:26 CET 2007

On 08/12/2007, Johan Dahlin <johan at gnome.org> wrote:

> Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > Adam, perhaps at some point (Monday?) we could get together on
> > #python-dev and interact in real time on this issue. Probably even
> > better on the phone. This offer is open to anyone who is serious about
> > getting this resolved. Someone please take it -- I'm offering free
> > consulting here!
> >
> > I'm curious -- is there anyone here who understands why [Py]GTK is
> > using signals anyway? It's not like writing robust signal handling
> > code in C is at all easy or obvious. If instead of a signal a file
> > descriptor could be used, all problems would likely be gone.
>
> The timeout handler was added for KeyboardInterrupt to be able to work
> when
> you want to Ctrl-C yourself out of the gtk.main() loop.

Not only that, but pygtk is a generic module; who are we to forbid the usage
of signals if python itself allows it?  If we were to ignore signals then
sooner or later someone would come along and shout "hey, signals work just
fine in pure python, so why did pygtk have to break my signals?".

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
INESC Porto, Telecommunications and Multimedia Unit