[Python-Dev] Split up the c-api documentation in smaller files?

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Fri Dec 7 15:42:44 CET 2007

Steve Holden schrieb:
> Christian Heimes wrote:
>> Good afternoon everybody!
>>
>> The new C API documentation contains some large files:
>>
>> 105K abstract.html
>> 300K concrete.html
>> 183K newtypes.html
>>
>> The concrete.html takes noticeable time to render on my computer (P4 2.4
>> with 1GB RAM, Firefox 2.0 and Ubuntu Linux). I estimate the load and
>> rendering time is about 4-5 seconds! It also takes long to search for a
>> string and scrolling isn't smooth, too.
>>
>> Can we split the files in smaller chunks, please?

Yes! It's in the TODO list since the beginning. Other than the C API, there's
also stdtypes.rst which needs quite a bit of splitting and refactoring.

> This might make a good GHOP project, though as Titus has just uploaded
> about seventy (70!) new projects I am unsure as to how long it would
> have to wait ti get in the queue.

Oh, provided the students stay as eager as they are at the moment, the
task won't be unclaimed for long. However, I'm not sure if that isn't too
dull for GHOP though... remember, we want to show them how interesting
Open Source development is ;)

Georg