[Python-Dev] Mac _OSA extension doesn't build on Leopard

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Dec 5 08:19:02 CET 2007

On 4 Dec, 2007, at 22:49, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> On OSX 10.5 with Xcode 3.0, whenever I build either the trunk or the
> py3k or 25 branches, I get a series of errors when setup.py tries to
> build the _OSA module. On OSX 10.4 it builds fine. Can anybody help?
> I don't even know what OSA is!

I'll try to do a crude fix later this week. The Carbon bindings also
wrap some deprecated API's, some of which were dropped in Leopard.
We're kind of lucky that _OSA is the only one that no longer compiles.

A correct fix will take some more time, as this will require
retargeting the bgen tool to use System headers instead of the OS9 (!)
headers that were used to generate the current Carbon bindings.

Ronald