[Python-Dev] Other SSL issues in the tracker have been marked

Neal Norwitz nnorwitz at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 20:39:57 CEST 2007

On 8/26/07, Bill Janssen <janssen at parc.com> wrote:
> > This occurs on at least 3 of the buildbots (ubuntu and debian on ia64,
> > ppc, and hppa).  Here's one example:
> >
> > http://python.org/dev/buildbot/all/ia64%20Ubuntu%20trunk%20trunk/builds/832/step-test/0
>
> If I'm reading this right, it's passing tests on "amd64 gentoo trunk",
> "x86 gentoo trunk", "g4 osx.4 trunk" (no surprise there).
>
> And looking at the community buildbots, it works on "x86 Redhat 9",
> "x86 Debian unstable", "amd64 Ubuntu gutsy", "G5 OS X", and so on.
> I've tested it myself on FC 7 and it works.
>
> And looking at the "ppc Debian unstable" case, test_socket is also
> failing there, so the test_ssl failure is not a big surprise.
>
> I'm not familiar with what's in Debian "trunk" or Ubuntu "trunk"; any
> idea what version of OpenSSL they have in them?

For ia64 http://python.org/dev/buildbot/all/ia64%20Ubuntu%20trunk%20trunk/builds/833/step-test/0

pybot at noisy:~$ openssl version
OpenSSL 0.9.8b 04 May 2006

I have access to some of the machines but not all of them.  All of
these run inside a chroot which might be causing a problem.  I
remember some issues with getting socket stuff to work right on them.
But that was over a year ago and I don't remember the details now.
:-( svn/google probably knows if you want to trawl through checkins.
I'm not sure that will help much though.

On this machines I was able to successfully make a key.  That's why
I'm thinking it might be some strange socket issue.

> But I think this exposes a more generic bug in test_ssl.py, which is
> that the server thread doesn't die when one of these failures occurs.
> It probably should.  I'll make a patch -- but I don't have a system
> that this fails on, how will I test it?

Yeah, I know this is difficult.  Hopefully someone with WIndows will
step up to help.  We can at least make the test more robust and verify
the files exist and are non-zero in size.  I will do that now.  At
least the it shouldn't cause the test to time out.