[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] Documentation switch imminent

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 15:25:34 CEST 2007

On 21/08/07, Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org> wrote:

> On 8/14/07, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:
> > Now that the converted documentation is fairly bug-free, I want to
> > make the switch.
>
> One thing I miss (and I haven't followed the discussions about the new
> layout at all, so I don't know if it came up already) is section numbers.

On a partly related note, I am assuming that the Windows Python
installer will come with the documentation in .chm (HTML Help) format,
as previously. It would be nice to see a preview version of this, as
I'm not 100% clear how the new section layout maps into the HTML Help
contents pane (as a specific example, the new "Built In Types" section
of the library reference is a single page - does this imply that the
HTML help won't have any subsections? I often use the HTML Help
contents pane to drill all the way down to (for example) section 3.6.1
"String Methods" and click to get directly to that section.

Paul.