[Python-Dev] Cygwin: Problem detecting subprocess termination after _spawn_posix in distutils?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Aug 21 02:17:36 CEST 2007

Steve Holden wrote:
> Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>>> The only environment variables that don't appear in the shell output
>>> from the env command are INFOPATH, MAKE_MODE and PLAT. I am still flummoxed.
>> At this point, I'd recommend to perform a cygwin update; with Cygwin,
>> these problems often go away with an update.
>>
> I updated Cygwin and did a rebaseall before posting.
>
>> If that doesn't help, you can ask on the Cygwin list also; to analyse
>> this further, ISTM one will need to debug the internals of cygwin.
>>
> I posted on Cygwin before asking here.
>
>> One thing you could try is to add -v to the list of gcc options;
>> you can then see whether gcc is progressing correctly.
>>
> I'll do that, though I have reason to believe the gcc *is* terminating
> and _spawn_posix isn't detecting the end of the process. At the very
> least we should get another test out of this dreadfully irritating bug.
>
> Thanks again for looking at this.

A further data point (sorry, I've not had a lot of time to look at
this). Building Python from the trunk at rev 57076 yielded a system that
*would* cleanly build the same release of PIL. This is somewhat annoying
because it appears to put the bug in the past where there's less
incentive to investigate it. But I may find time to take a look.

Hardly worth it if I'm the only one noticing the issue, though.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119