[Python-Dev] RFC - proposal for urilib. unified module of urlparse, urllib and urllib2

O.R.Senthil Kumaran orsenthil at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Aug 19 21:10:31 CEST 2007

Hello All,

I am drafting a PEP proposing a module 'urilib', which will be the unified module of urlparse, urllib and urllib2.

a) _all_ functions will include from urlparse,urllib and urllib2.
b) overlapping functionality between urllib and urllib2 to be ironed out.
c) RFC3986 and RFC3987 compliant.

Cleanup task of urllib was my G-SoC, and this unified module is a suggestion with python 2.6 in mind.

I would like to know your thoughts on
- How should we plan to maintain the backward compatiblity?
- What other features should be kept in mind while designing?

Thanks,
Senthil

--
O.R.Senthil Kumaran