[Python-Dev] Documentation switch imminent

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sat Aug 18 00:58:44 CEST 2007

Alexandre Vassalotti wrote:
> On 8/17/07, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:
[...]
> Ah, I didn't notice that index included all the documents. That
> explains the huge size increase. However, would it be possible to keep
> the indexes separated? I noticed that I find I want more quickly when
> the indexes are separated.

Which is fine when you know which section to expect to find your content
in. But let's retain an "all-documentation" index if we can, as this is
particularly helpful to the newcomers who aren't that familiar with the
structure of the documentation.

>> I've now removed leading spaces in the index output, and the character
>> count is down to 850000.
>>
>>> Firefox, on my fairly recent machine, takes ~5 seconds rendering the
>>> index of the new docs from disk, compared to a fraction of a second
>>> for the old one.
>> But you're right that rendering is slow there.  It may be caused by the
>> more complicated CSS... perhaps the index should be split up in several
>> pages.
>>

> I disabled CSS-support (with View->Page Style->No Style), but it
> didn't affect the initial rendering speed. However, scrolling was
> *much* faster without CSS.

Probably because the positional calculations are more straightforward then.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119